Thursday, May 14, 2015

Grow Your Own

Do you garden?  My husband has always loved to have a garden.  For as long as I've known him this has been important to him.  He has provided us with a lot of yummy veggies over the years.  When you're trying to eat a clean diet this even more important.  We like growing our own veggies so that we know what has been used on them.  We try to use only organic, natural means of ridding our garden of pests & weeds.  So we don't have to worry about chemical pesticides & fertilizers.  This isn't always possible, but we do this as much as we can! I wanted to share just a few things that we love about having our own garden.
Right now we are enjoying home grown lettuce.  I love a fresh salad.  I grate some cheese & use some homemade croutons, boil some farm fresh, pasture eggs.  Our favorite lettuces are buttercrunch & romaine. 

I still have a while to wait, but my very favorite garden vegetable is tomatoes!!  I love to eat them straight off the vine with a little salt.  A tomato sandwich on fresh, homemade wheat bread is a perfect summertime lunch!!!  I think my family's favorite thing about tomatoes is that I make my homemade marinara sauce.  I love to make big batches of this & freeze it.  We use this sauce for all kinds of pasta dishes & homemade pizza.  When making my sauce I use tomatoes, onions, garlic (all from our garden), olive oil, Young Living's Taste of Italy oil blend OR YL Oregano & Basil oils. Most recently I used this sauce in a chicken Parmesan casserole.  It was a big hit with the family!! 
I'd love to hear what you do with food from your garden!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment