Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Time to Bloom

When you live on a farm, there is ALWAYS something new & exciting going on.  Each day has its own challenges & victories & lessons.  It is a continual process.  So much to learn.  I learn something new daily, so I KNOW this is a good life for my girls.  
One of my girls' chores is to collect the eggs from our laying hens.  We've had laying hens for about 5 years now.  There is nothing in the world like a farm fresh egg from a pasture raised hen..........YUM!!!  In these 5 years, we've tried several ways of keeping our hens & collecting eggs.  Like I said, it is a continual process.  We had to figure out how to make the girls comfortable going & collecting the eggs.  We wanted them to enjoy having a "job" & being part of the workings of the farm. Now we are up to about 30 layers.  We have learned that roosters are going to work for us on our farm.......for several reasons.  One of those reasons being that the girls & I tend to be scared of the roosters.  After a few attempts at owning roosters, we are now a rooster-free farm.  My girls are much more eager to go get the eggs now.  
Since we have 30 laying hens, we get a lot of eggs........about 2 dozen a day.  So, we have a few people who get eggs from us.  We have taken to weighing our eggs to make sure these families are getting good sized eggs. Last week we had our biggest egg yet.  The girls came in & could not believe that the egg was as big as the palm of their hand!!!  We quickly weighed it..........3.1 oz!!  WOW!!!  It was a JUMBO beauty.  The poor hen..........OUCH!!!!  :)
My sweet Ava........she's growing up entirely too fast.  It is bittersweet.  I mean, I feel like I JUST had her last week.  How is it that she is about to be 9??? I am so captivated watching her grow & mature.  She is in a stage right now of wanting to help me with anything & everything around the house.  She wants to clean & cook.......doesn't matter, as long as she's getting to help.  She was so proud of herself earlier this month.  She found a recipe & prepared dessert for us all by herself.  We had gotten a coloring book from a local beekeeper & it has a few recipes in it.  She made these Honey Crispies.  We did substitute oats because we didn't have crisp rice cereal.   It was super yummy!!!  This is going to be NICE!!! 
And it gets even better..........she also cleaned up her mess without being asked to!!! Yes ma'am...she's going to be a tremendous help too!!
And of course Aubrey can't be left out..........whatever big sister can do, little sister can do too.  She had to help me dust mop.  And everyone dustmops in their Sophia princess dress & Tiana heels, right??  And my Aubrey has a big heart just like her sister too.  One of her favorite things to do is to pick me the most beautiful bouquets!!  My heart is full with these two!!! 
The picture below is a perfect depiction of our life........my girls (in their nightgowns) in the pasture with all the goats & my sweet hubby watching all the "kids."  This is certainly a blessed life!
 
And here is my favorite part of spring...........watching all the flowers make their appearance.  These just started opening up this week!!! 
Thanks for stopping in & checking out our life.  I hope you read something that makes you smile & helps you in some way.  Now, what are you waiting for??  Go out & BLOOM!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment