Monday, March 9, 2015

What To Do With All Those Empty Bottles.......

When we started using essential oils, I found out really quickly that if this is going to be a way of life for us, then we're about to really go through a lot of oils.  I found myself emptying some bottles really quickly!  For whatever reason, some may call me crazy, I couldn't bring myself to throw the empty bottles away.  I had to come up with a way to recycle these bottles.  I'm sure I'm not the only one to feel this & I'm certainly not even the only one to recycle the bottles in the same way.  But I do think that I recycle them in a great way & I want to share that with all you.  I hope it will help & inspire you to keep your bottles & continue to reap the benefits of using YLEOs.

So, what happens at this house when we have a bottle (or several bottles) that we've just emptied on it's goodness??
I start by taking the sticker off of the cap (I always add a homemade sticker or a one from YL to my bottle caps so I don't have to lift each bottle to find what I'm looking for) & I remove the white plastic ring under the cap.  Then I fill my two decorative containers with epsom salts. 
After filling the containers with epsom salts, I then put the EO bottles & caps top down in the containers of salts.  These containers sit on the edge of my tub.  I let the EO bottles stay in the salts for several days.  Then I pull them out of the containers & place them in the tub at my bath time.  By doing this, I get the benefits of the oil infused salts that are stuck to the bottles & I get to soak the bottles to finish the cleaning process. 
I usually leave the bottles in the tub for my baths for several days.  During this time, the label is also softened so that I can peel it off.  When all this is complete, I then run the bottles & tops through my dishwasher.  Now the bottles are ready to reuse to make roller bottles (which I LOVE) or to share samples or to reuse for travel.....the possibilities are endless.  AND besides having the bottles the reuse, I also got EVERY DROP of oily goodness out of the bottle & now I have oil infused salts for therapeutic baths!!!  WIN WIN!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment