Sunday, July 31, 2016

Love From the Kitchen

"Cooking is love made edible."  Our society is all about food......everything we do is centered around food.  I think most people would agree with this.  I mean, what do we do for others during times of grief & loss, recovery, or celebration?  One of the most popular things to do for people is to bake them food.  I have found for most of my life that when I want to do something for someone, I start thinking about what food I can prepare for them.  I tend to get more out of it than the people I'm fixing for. 
For the past couple of years my sweet Ava has really developed at love for cooking.  I'm so excited about this.  And while she's only 10 years old, I can see her following thru with this into adulthood.  I can already picture her with her own little bakery.  Because of this love for it, I try really hard to incorporate both my girls in the kitchen.
During the summer my girls did several day camps.  I believe Ava's favorite camp was culinary camp.  She's already planning to go back next summer.  This camp was Monday - Friday for 3 hours each day.  Each day was themed & they prepared a meal & dessert.  She enjoyed every minute of it & learned a ton of valuable information.  She even received a certificate of completion on Friday.


Right after culinary camp she was eager to share her recipes.  Thankfully Granna & Opa was excited to let her cook for them. 

I've decided to nurture this love of hers & get her in the kitchen helping me.  She loves when I ask her to help.  And Aubrey has even developed an enjoyment for cooking......not the same way as Ava, but she doesn't want to be left out.  
Our first bit of love from the kitchen was a delicious blueberry bundt cake.  I got the girls in the kitchen to get all the ingredients out.  They've learned quickly that it saves time & makes the work flow better if we have everything out & ready to go.  These girls couldn't wait to get started. 

They took turns adding ingredients & mixing them.  We preheated our oven to the convection setting 350*.  The girls greased the pan, then added the batter.
They were so very proud of what came out of the oven.
And don't tell my girls......but this is about so much more than baking.  At this point, this time together in the kitchen means a lot more to me than it does to them.  I'm cherishing every minute I have with them.  Everyday & in the kitchen.  Then one day, they'll be able to look back on our time baking & see what it was really all about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment